Sunday, November 29, 2009

This time of life (Reminiscing again)

Was surfing the web just a while ago and found a link that shows "TOP 20 Martial Arts movie scene". So I was watching some of the clips and most of em were chinese martial arts movie made in the 80s and 90's starring Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Jet Li. Then it hit me, movies nowadays are just filled with explosions and gun fights that in my opinion lack choreography (the truck flipping scene in the Dark Knight was an exception).
Action movies has deteriorated to lackluster productions that only involves your typical explosions (Transformers 2 is a notable example) and they claim that the movie is 'action packed'.

I've never appreciated Jackie Chan's stunts during his prime as I have now. No one in this time and age will probably put their body on the line as much as these stunt men. Gotta respect them.


On movies/TV, if you ask me which movies remind me of my childhood, I would say Karate Kid, Jackie Chan movies, Jet Li movies and Mr Bean.
Sad thing is, Pat Morita passed away, Mr Bean aka Rowan Atkinson has somewhat retired, Jet Li says he's not making anymore martial arts movie and Jackie Chan seems like he's way too old to do anymore of his 90's stunts.

What about current 2000 movies? I can't really think of anything memorable other than the Matrix and Batman (ones directed by Christopher Nolan).
The same thing can be said about music. I really can't think of a memorable 2000 song which maybe 10 years from now I would say "That reminded me of my youth".

2010 is just a month away. I felt like the first 10 years of the 21st century has been disappointing. Is it because of all the video games? Have I been stuck indoors for way too long? Well.... 10 years from now I'm sure I'll definitely remember the good memories I have probably forgotten over these 10 years.

Enough reminiscing. Time to get back to finishing up my homework before the Merseyside Derby between Liverpool and Everton at 7.30am.

(Time written : 6am Sunday Morning)

No comments: