Monday, October 26, 2009

RIP Geocities


Back then around 1998,
you gave me plugins/add ons for Petz
you gave me insight on how to hack my digimon
gave me Dragonball/ anime fansites
from your service I made my first website (which I have forgotten how it looks like but it's somewhat similar to every other geocities website back then)
you thought me how to work with HTML and javascript.

11 years later, you've closed down. Thanks for the memories.


"Bye GeoCities! I remember staying up till late nights (and getting scolded of course) just to learn HTML and Javascript so I can create my own webpage and look cool when I share them on IRC and ICQ, putting in “Guestbooks” so readers could write down their feedbacks…those were the good old days. The time for Yahoo to close GeoCities is up, everything that were once there will vanish like dust, well almost; some of the pages might be preserved. It’s an obsolete tool and you probably don’t care about your page anymore, but it’s always worth the effort to save a copy of it before GeoCities takes it down forever…"

"Today's the day: Yahoo has officially killed the once-ubiquitous free hosting service, taking down thousands of the ugliest and least-updated pages on the web. It's really the end of an era. A moment of silence, please."
Read more : Gizmodo
Lowyat.net

No comments: