Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Place, New Aparment, New Internet, New Neighbours, New Internet

So I moved in to a place I can finally call 'home' after being homeless since May 12th (I think). It's not readily furnished as Frederiksen Court(empty) but it's no doubt larger and has a better location for food and groceries.


About a 15 minute walk, 5 minutes cycle, 10 minutes bus ride (including walking to the bus stop and on the bus, not including time needed to wait for the bus), I'd say it's fairly close to campus compared to other locations. I'm quite happy with it... though I'll probably not like it in the winter.

One of the necessities is high speed internet. Luckily for us, a 2mbps line is provided. The speeds was constant and stable the first 2 days I moved in.... until I heard some thumping on the floor above....... then internet here has become unstable and irregular. At times it can be good, at times it can be worst than Malaysia's very own streamyx. I was so eager to get back to the states to get away from Streamyx and found out that streamyx had followed me in a different form. Anyway, I'm guessing it's the neighbours' upstairs that's hogging up the internet causing majority of the building to experience good ol' Malaysian broadband.

So what to do? I can't play dota smoothly, I can't surf the internet fast.... time to get a new dedicated modem for ourselves. At only $20 a month for a whoppin 8MBPS (that's 8 times faster than Malaysia's crappy streamyx and RM30 cheaper than what we're paying TMNUT) without any throttling! TMNUT cheap? I don't think so.

Another thing I must mention, the internet here uses cable lines (the ones you plug into the back of your TV). TMNUT should've thought of something like that... but I guess they decided that normal copperlines are sufficient enough for them to profit off Malaysians.....

No comments: